Hilliard House

Built in 1871 and with its tiny kitchen, various small pantries, servants’ staircase, screened & sleeping porches all still intact before Tommy arrived, the clients wished for the landmarked Italianate house to function better for large, catered social occasions and everyday family life. With the blessing of the Architectural Review Board, windows and doors were replicated, porches enclosed and properly conditioned, kitchen and pantries expanded all within the main house volume. The servants’ stair was removed, steel inserted to firmly hold the second floor, and all back-of-house areas of the main & carriage houses were modernized. Rodman Primack of RP Miller designed and furnished the interiors.